Art is beauty. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Friday, October 8, 2010

Taipei DIY District

I have decided that I will begin by creating beaded jewelry.  While searching for bead supplies in Taiwan on the internet, I came across an article in the Taipei Times about a bead district in Taipei.  I figured this was a good place to start collecting supplies until my box arrives from back home with beads I've collected over the years.

My husband and I went for a day trip to Taipei on a Sunday hoping to find the stores open.  We took the High Speed Rail to the Taipei Main Station then walked through the underground Taipei City Mall

 to this exit.

When we got to the top of the stairs we found what I believed was Crystal Supermarket.







The address I had was 87 Zhengzhou Street (or Zhongxiao W Rd) from the article in the Taipei Times but the actual sign outside was in Chinese so I couldn't read it.  I bought some beads here then headed to Bear Mama craft store at 51 YanPing N Road Sec. 1. where I was able to find bead cord, clasps and some tools.  These appeared to be the two larger stores, so that was enough for one day and besides it was getting close to lunch time.
On the way back through the Taipei City Mall, later that day, I noticed some bead stands worth checking out on another visit...

1 comment:

  1. When I was in Taipei last weekend the Crystal Supermarket appeared to be closing down or moving. I think the sign on the door said that it was moving a couple of doors down to 77 ZhengZhou Rd. (or Zhongxiao). The sign was in Chinese and the other address was closed up when I arrived earlier in the day. But I will give an update next time I get over there.

    ReplyDelete